White Hat and Black Hat refer to SEO strategies employed by businesses to optimize their website's ranking on search engines.
We take a look at what they are:
White Hat SEO
White Hat SEO includes all the SEO techniques and strategies that target the human audience as opposed to just the search engine.
However, what is equally important about White Hat SEO is that it involves the use of SEO techniques that are within the search engines' terms of service.
Simply put, White Hat SEO plays by the rules and delivers positive results for the brand over the long run.
Some examples of White Hat SEO strategies include:
- Provisions of quality content and high-resolution and well-labelled images on the website
- Making website mobile-friendly
- Building links with other websites through proper channels such as guest posting
Black Hat SEO
Black Hat SEO refers to techniques and strategies that focus primarily on improving the ranking on search engines and they do so with no regard to search engines' rules and terms of service.
While Black Hat SEO aims to improve a site's rankings, it delivers short-term results. In the long-run, it can actually hurt the business with the consequence of using it as serious as being banned from a digital presence.
Some popular examples of Black Hat SEO include:
- Keyword stuffing, which truly focuses on quantity of keywords instead of on the quality of content
- Buying of links or using manipulative links- which involves hiding links in various parts of the website
- Using hidden texts to add to the quantity of content provided on the webpage in the hopes of improving chances of being ranked higher by search engines.
At the end of the day, Black Hat SEO- also known as Unethical SEO- is clearly not in the interest of any business. While it may provide short-term benefits, the poor quality of content, keyword stuffing, and manipulative nature of its techniques will, in the long run, render the website unappealing to one and all. And if the website is penalized, then there is no way of coming back from that kind of a hit to the business's reputation.
In contrast, White Hat SEO is not only effective and legal, it is also the approach that focuses on delivering long-term results, something every business wants.
This is exactly why White Hat SEO is really the right way to go for businesses.